Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Does Slovio Still Exist?

Some time ago I took an interest in Slovio, a constucted language similar to Esperanto but based on Slavic languages. It's a good idea, but I don't find much interest in it any more online. My own interest has waned since starting this blog many years ago. But I am interested in constructed languages in general, and have decided to give a little more life to my constructed language blogs.

For a fictional work-in-progress of mine, I used several real constructed languages in a futuristic setting. I added Slovio to the other languages used in that way. For that purpose, I searched for the Our Father prayer (Lord's Prayer) in Slovio. And I found it. Here is the prayer:

Nasx Otec

Nasx otec ktor es om nebes,
Sviatju en tvoi imen,
Tvoi krolenie pridib,
Tvoi vola bu na Zemla takak om nebes,
Darij nams nasx denju hleb,
I uprostij nams nasx grehis,
takak mi uprostime,
tamkor grehijut proti nams,
I ne vestij nams v pokusenie,
no spasij nams ot zlo.

I understood a little bit of that, since in addition to trying to learn Slovio many years ago I have more recently been trying to learn Serbo-Croatian, and have listened to Radio Maria in Serbian and Croatian and used to have a recording of Radio Maria rosary broadcasts in those languages. The Our Father prayer is an important part of the rosary.

The official web site for Slovio is here: http://slovio.com/
It doesn't look like much has been done with the language since I first saw the web site. If you have interest in Slovio, you can comment on this blog about it. You can comment in English, Esperanto or German and I will understand you, and of course in Slovio, which I might not understand that well yet.




No comments:

Post a Comment